This year the pub of the year 2016 starts in March and runs throughout the whole year as I find my favourite ale pub in Sheffield.
2016 Review – So as 2016 draws to a close lets see what 2016 did bring, beer festivals, as always are on my list and did 12 this year, highlights were SibaX who are coming back in 2017, York which I went for one day and in 2017 I think it will be a weekend trip, Collabfest at Brewdog, certainly tried some great collaboration ales. What beer festivals planned for 2017 – Manchester in January to start with. Looking to do some new ones.
Adding new pubs has reached pub199 and had a quiet run to the end of the year, added 34 new pubs this year and plans for 2017 – visit Halfway, Crystal Peaks, Manor area, that side of town I have not done alot of. We also lost 6 pubs this year.
I have started to turn my pub walks into a Pub Walk Series and now making these available on my website as a pdf file so people can download to their mobile phones, in 2017 I shall be adding alot more to this series.
I didnt get to visit many cities this year to find their ale pubs, I did manage to get in Leeds and Manchester and managed to get in Huddersfield as well, this review isnt ready yet, 2017 plan York where I have been many times but never done a review, others on my target list are Dronfield, Norwich, Derby, Liverpool, Buxton.
Twitter account has taken off now and getting new followers on a daily basis and I will continue to re-tweet anything beery in Sheffield if they tag me in, I do sometimes check others as well but when my wall is so busy its hard to spot anything, so if you are a pub/venue/brewery do tag me in, I will re-tweet, I also like to promote bar lists and will post these as well on my trips round the pubs.
Then there is the #beerglass saga I have with a certain glass so any pubs serving these in 2017 I simply wont visit again, there isnt many pubs and they know who they are (eg wont be getting my money next year).
Finally there is the Pub of the Yer 2017 to start with again, my 20 shortlisted pubs have already been picked, top10 from 2016 + my other 10 choices.
I want to thank you all for following me on either Tiwtter, Untppd and Facebook group, I do speak my mind so lets see who upsets me in 2017.
UPDATE : Top10 have been chosen on 27th September 2016
My Pub of the Year 2016 – Top 10
1st – Devonshire Cat
2nd – Shakespeare
3rd – Sheffield Tap
4th – New Barrack Tavern
5th – Fat Cat
6th – White Lion
7th – Bath Hotel
8th – Beer Engine
9th – Gardeners Rest
10th – The Hop
My other Awards
Sheffield Brewery of the Year – 1st … Abbeydale Brewery – was close until I went to their 20th Moonshine party and with the likes of Hop Smash, Last Rites, Black Mass, and new ones like Citrus pale, also a sour beer, Lady Ra Ra. King of pale ales and now branching out.
Micro pub of the Year – 1st … Beer House – situated on Eccy Rd (as we call it) and always have a nice range of ales available, and the bar staff do chat to you as well which makes up for no signal on phone, one way to make conversation, nice quite pub and nice to sit outside and watch the world go by.
Thornbridge pub of the Year – 1st … Bath Hotel – so many to choose from and this is my fav, great ales and kegs serving guest ales as well, pub has great character and always pop in when in town. Top be honest all the Thornbridge pubs are great.
Drink of the Year – 1st … A clear winner in Titanic`s Plum Porter, for the 2nd year in a row, a drink that always gets my attention when I walk in a pub and see it, so imagine my delight when New Barrack Tavern has a pump dedicated to this great drink, I have tried a few plum porters and none gets anywhere near this.
Best Beer Garden of the Year – 1st … Gardeners Rest – This pub has the most unusual objects in a beer garden and loads of them, never a dull moment looking round it, I am sure more keep appearing.
Best Sheffield Beer festival of the Year – 1st … SIBA – held every year in March and love the bar layout, one line of ale pumps and the seating is well planned and even the entertainment is excellent, always book the week off work for this.
Best Beer Blogger – 1st … twobeergeeks – always like to read their blogs and also 2 nice charming guys who have great knowledge on beer, what they say is always the truth and if you click on their name it will take you to their blog. If you think your blog should have won you haven’t made yourself known more to me than these 2 guys.
Best Beer Board – 1st … Has to be Shakespeare pub, always plenty of info on whats on offer
Best Brewery outside of Sheffield – 1st … Hopjacker – when I go out drinking I never have a plan of what I want to drink, I always like to be surprised and try something different, but there are 2 breweries which make me grab their ales, Titanic and the one which wins is Hopjacker, I have never had a bad ale from them, we rarely see them in pubs so always get a half and the rhubarb & custard was to die for, excellent stuff from the.
Best ale City outside of Sheffield (can only go on those I have visited ) – 1st … Leeds, see my Leeds blog here.
Best Greene King pub – 1st .. The Ball – This is a clear winner for me, The Ball situated at Crookes and one I visit when I am up there has recently had a re-furb and serves 13/14 ales and alot are guest ales with a changing selection, I am not a fan of GK ales and try to avoid them but this pub does give a great selection, foods not bad either.
Most Friendly Bar Staff – 1st .. White Lion pub – I have visited many pubs this year and met some very nice barstaff, some not so very nice and some who just want to serve me and move on and make the next cocktail or check their mobile phone. This pub staff always have a smile on their face and even if I have had a bad day coming here always brightens my night, one particular bar staff (sorry dont know her name) is so wonderful its amazing.
Best New Pub – 1st .. Head of Steam – they took over The Old Monk which needed a bit of attention and they certainly changed the pub in a massive way, now serving 10 ales and have a keg selection as well, certainly one I add to my pub walk in town.
Best Brewery Pub – 1st .. Nag Head Inn – Bradfield Brewery and serving 8 of their ales, all for £2 a pint, the pub might be out of the way in Bradfield but the 61/62 bus go past and well worth a visit.
Most improved pub – 1st .. Rising Sun at Fullwood, they had a re-furb and also a extension added which gave the pub alot more light and in my eyes transformed the pub completely
Best Glass served in – 1st .. has to be Titanic glass.
Big thing to hit us next in 2017 – I feel 2017 will bring more micro-pubs in Sheffield.
My 2016 shortlisted pubs
- The Ball – Crookes
- Although a Greene King pub this one does have alot of ale pumps and the selection is great, one of my fav pubs and this new choosing system I have will do this pub well. Twitter : @
- Always have something new when I come in, a contender, bar staff know their stuff as well. Twitter : @
- Sheaf View – Heeley
- Always an nice pub and a great view, know their stuff and selection always changing, will be up there at the top by year end. Twitter : @
- Devonshire Cat
- My last years winner on POTY2015, although Abbeydale brewery pub their guest ales are very good, yet to test the bar staff so could be interesting. Twitter : @
- The Hop
- Back in my POTY run this one has surprised me recently with their guest ales, a dark house. Twitter : @
- Fat Cat
- Always have interesting guest ales on, and also Kelham Island Brewery pub, could suffer on lack of knowledge as some staff just dont seem to smile. Twitter : @
- Bath Hotel
- Thornbridge pub and they do have some interesting guest ales on. This pub has a slight advantage as they know who I am, knowledge will be tested. Twitter : @
- Hallamshire House
- A Thornbridge pub and have no guest ales on so shall be looking at what they serve here, always friendly staff. Twitter : @
- Kelham Island Tavern
- Always have local and good guest ales on, will be in the top half. Twitter : @
- Sheffield Tap
- Always have interesting ales on, should be fun doing this pub, contender … could be . Twitter : @
- Beer Engine
- New pub and great selection of ales, they know who I am so have a advantage, very knowledgeable, a contender. Twitter @
- Rutland Arms
- Always surprises me this pub with ales selection, if you can get to the bar, people sat round it, should be interesting if they know whats been served. Twitter: @
- Always have something nice on here, knowledge will be interesting in here. twitter : @
- New addition this year, recently taken over and shall see if they are as good as they want to be. They could also be the first to go as Doombar glasses are used sometimes Twitter :@
- Rising Sun – Fulwood
- Another Abbeydale brewery pub and recently had a makeover, lets see how good the guest ales are. Twitter : @
- Another Greene King pub but ales are very good, lets see if knowledge is good here, could be middle of the pack. Twitter : @
- Mostly have Exit33 ales on but have a couple of guest ales. Twitter : @
- Gardeners Rest
- Sheffield Brewery pub with some nice guest ales, again could be a dark horse. Twitter : @
- New Barrack Tavern
- Recently a freehouse so will be interesting to see what guest ales are on, always knowledgable and they do know who I am… will be in the top half .. contender .. could be .. Twitter : @
- White Lion
- Recent new owners and been there for a year, ales are becoming interesting selection and could be in the top half. Twitter : @
- Closed Shop
- Always have interesting ales on, not sure if they know me, but will soon find out. Could be early exit as Doombar glasses is what I get me ales in sometimes. Twitter : @
Late addition ; Fox and Duck
I have added this as they have recently brewing their own beers and this pub will expand the pumps to 7, could be a surprise of the year, was I right to add it .. time will tell . Twitter : @
Head of Steam – Sheffields newest pub.